Dedicated to seeing you through the debt relief process
A bankruptcy law firm can help you clear the slate and re-write your financial future. Whether you are facing an individual or a business financial crisis, we are here to help. We understand how the Bankruptcy Fraud Protection and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 changed some of the qualifying conditions. As your bankruptcy lawyers in Fairfax VA, we review your circumstances to determine if you have a case for court-ordered debt relief and, more importantly, whether bankruptcy is the right option for you.
Experienced, compassionate guidance
Bolger Law Firm has over 30 years of experience practicing before the federal bankruptcy courts. We know that facing bankruptcy proceedings is never easy, but let us assure you that you are not alone. More than 1.5 million Americans will petition for debt discharge through the courts this year, each with a unique set of circumstances — and each with unique concerns.
As bankruptcy lawyers in Fairfax VA, our first priority is to determine your eligibility for debt relief by performing a review of your financial documentation. Many people find this portion of the process uncomfortable, but we are here to help, not to criticize.
When a bankruptcy lawyer reviews your financial documentation, he or she is interpreting how your economic situation is affected by the laws. For example:
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which is known as “liquidation,” is designed for individuals who own very little in terms of property or other assets. Usually, nothing is liquidated since certain assets are protected from creditors in bankruptcy. It is the least complicated form of debt relief, and can be completed in as little as a few months.
- Chapter 13 bankruptcy, which is known as the “payment plan,” is designed for individuals who have equity in homes or other property that cannot be protected from creditors in Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Petitioners under the guidelines of Chapter 13 are provided with a three-to-five-year period of monthly payments to pay down their debts. Only a small percentage of debt is often repaid in Chapter 13.
In a situation as daunting as this can be, it is best to navigate the legal waters with the assistance of an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. Unlike larger firms, Bolger Law Firm treats each case and each client individually. We are creative problems solvers and take pride in presenting you with options you may not even know you have.
Putting a stop to creditor harassment
One of the great benefits of pursuing bankruptcy is the automatic stay, which is a legal tool implemented during bankruptcy cases that prohibits creditors from making contact with individuals and companies seeking debt relief through the courts. An automatic stay will:
Bankruptcy lawyers in Fairfax VA including Richard Bolger explain that there are certain exemptions provided to specific creditors during the period of the automatic stay. While most creditors are required to halt their collection efforts, some debts, such as federally funded student loans, cannot be discharged through the courts.
People we have helped in the past
These are some scenarios from past cases:
- Adult children who realize their parent will never pay off their credit cards unless they do something.
- A small business owner whose business is struggling to pay the lease and other overhead.
- People who are separated or divorced and now have support obligations that completely disrupt their budget.
- A person who stills owns under-water real estate, years after the market collapse.
- People who receive lawsuit papers for payments they stopped making months ago.
- A young person who can’t find a good paying job and whose student loan payments are unmanageable.
- A widow whose income won’t pay the bills.
- A 50 year old who realizes she can never get ahead on her payments to creditors and wonders how she will ever retire.
- A couple whose investment in a second home is still underwater, they can’t sell it, and it threatens their retirement plans.
- The person who learns he still owes tens of thousands of dollars after the foreclosure or short sale didn’t fully payoff the mortgages.
These are just some of the endless variety of people who have benefitted from the protection of the federal bankruptcy code. It’s true! You can truly get a fresh start and plan a path toward a brighter future.
Schedule your free debt relief consultation today
Sometimes bankruptcy is the responsible choice. Call Bolger Law Firm for help in regaining your financial fitness. Call us at (703) 383-9595 or contact Bolger Law Firm online to schedule a free, confidential consultation. We serve the Washington, DC metropolitan area in bankruptcy, real estate and personal injury law from our Fairfax, Virginia location. Richard Bolger is licensed in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
“We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.”